I had a lot of fun in Miami, but was so happy to get home and back to my normal routine. For me, “normal” days start with oats, but thanks to Kath’s Tribute to Oatmeal, the preparation of said oats varies. Feeling inspired by the Energia smoothie at Juice and Java in Miami, I modified Kath’s Dough Boy Smoothie to make this lovely Banana Ginger Smoothie.
Banana Ginger Smoothie
Makes 1 Smoothie
- 1/2 cup raw rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 banana, halved
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
Combine all ingredients in a blender, reserving one half of the banana. Stir, then place in the refrigerator over night. Add a splash more liquid if the morning if needed and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass or bowl, and slice the remaining banana half over the top. Enjoy!
Pineapple juice and the banana make this quite sweet, so I highly recommend unsweetened soy milk. If you are luckily enough to not have dairy issues, regular milk would be tasty too!
More about the ingredients:
- Ginger relieves symptoms of gastrointestinal distress, relieves nausea, acts as an anti-inflammatory, and some studies show that ginger has blood thinning and cholesterol lowering effects.
- Chia seeds are full of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, B vitamins, and fiber. 1 tbsp of chia seeds contains 2 g of protein and 7% of your recommended daily value of calcium.
- Bananas are a well known source of potassium, and also contain high amount of vitamin B6.
This was a tasty, rejuvenating way to start the day!